Potatoes.co.nz provides resources, ideas and tips to assist teachers to include potatoes in their lesson plans.
Potatoes can be included in the New Zealand curriculum at Levels 1, 2 and 3 in the three food related strands; Home Economics, Technology and Hospitality.
Take children on a potato discovery adventure
Potatoes.co.nz have resources which focus on two areas which combine to give children knowledge and understanding:
- global – to give children a perspective on how one food can make a huge impact on people and communities
- skills – to teach each child to cook and to foster personal responsibility.
- Teachers’ guide – activities to help understand the sustainable role of potatoes in feeding the world
- How to grow potatoes – full instructions how to grow potatoes in a bucket
- Potatoes varieties poster which promotes buying for end use i.e. roasting, baking, boiling, salads
- Cooking guide to potato dishes – showing traditional names of potato dishes and how to cook them